The Personal Care Attendant (PCA) Program is a program that is managed by the consumer, and funded by MassHealth. This program enables individuals with a permanent or long-term disability to live independently at home with the services necessary to remain independent. PCA’s assist with Activities of Daily Living (*ADL) such as dressing, bathing, grooming and toileting.
IA is a Personal Care Management Agency (PCM). As a PCM, we evaluate consumers applying for Personal Care Attendant services through MassHealth, teach the necessary skills for the consumer to direct their program, and work with the consumer to maintain their services once in place.
The following are required by MassHealth in order to be eligible for and receive PCA services:
- Eligibility Determination
- A consumer must need help with 2 or more Activities of Daily Living (*ADL)
- A consumer must obtain approval from a doctor or a nurse practitioner to receive PCA services
- The Evaluation Process
- Once determined eligible to receive services, a home visit is conducted by a Registered Nurse and Occupational Therapist to evaluate the amount of services needed according to the standards set in place by MassHealth.
- The Initial Evaluation is documented by the Registered Nurse and Occupational Therapist for processing.
- Evaluation signed by the consumer, a licensed physician, the Occupational Therapist and the Registered Nurse prior to being sent to MassHealth for authorization.
- MassHealth approves, modifies, or denies the request within a specified timeline.
- Once approved, consumers are re-evaluated annually to remain eligible for services according to MassHealth regulations.
- PCA Employer Training
- Once a consumer is to receive PCA services from MassHealth, training on how to be a PCA employer is provided by Independence Associates.
- Topics covered include:
- Your obligations as a PCA Employer according to the guidelines established by MassHealth.
- How to properly hire, train, and evaluate PCA’s.
- The forms and paperwork required to run your personally directed PCA Program that are required by MassHealth, Independence Associates, and STAVROS fiscal Intermediary and how they are to be properly filled out, filed, and maintained.
- Best practices in being a PCA Employer.
- Timesheets, Forms & Other Resources
- STAVROS Fiscal Intermediary maintains an up to date web site which contains all of the Timesheets, Forms, and Documents necessary for you as a consumer to maintain your personally directed PCA program. Visit the STAVROS Forms page for a complete listing and to download and print any forms you need.